9.3.08

The Mitre

After being run off the north summit of Pioneer Peak by a sheep Monday we opted for someplace less crowded Wednesday: The Mitre, by sixwheeler, at the snout of Eklutna Glacier. I'm running low on battery power as I write this, so to make a long story short, there was bright sun, big ice cave, marshmallows, and James bent his pick on an "Am I hitting a rock?" rock buried in the ice. This he hammered mostly straight again, though it was still skewed enough to blast apart big chucks of ice, which was great fun to watch while he was below me, but not so much from above, since we'd only brought one helmet. At the base of the titanic upper pillar we called it quits, having had a pleasantly late start, with a long walk, then a long ride, then a long drive home still ahead of us. Thanks for dinner, Beth.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

yay, you're here!
I love you!